Visiting Canada with a Florida DUI

Americans with a criminal record can be denied entry when traveling to Canada. This means that residents of Florida who have ever been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol can be turned away by Canadian immigration officials. Even an arrest under Florida's drunk driving law 316.193 can result in a person being criminally inadmissible to Canada since there is no presumption of innocence when it comes to traveling internationally.

To avoid running into issues when crossing the Canadian border, anyone with a Florida DWI or DUI should plan ahead and apply for official entry permission via a Canada Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). Regardless of whether your alcohol related driving offense was a misdemeanor or felony, or even if it was pleaded down to a lesser charge such as reckless driving, only a TRP or Canada Criminal Rehabilitation can ensure you are able to travel across the border with a criminal record. It's possible to obtain a Canadian TRP at the border, so even if you have very little notice about an upcoming trip you can prevent your DUI Florida from ruining your plans. For more information, please read this guide about going to Canada with a DUI from Florida.